Friday, August 30, 2013

Strengths vs Weaknesses

Dr. Ed Hallowell and Dr. John Ratey have written many popular books on ADHD. While Dr. Hallowell is more open to alternative treatments (such as nutritional supplements), he also emphasizes the human spirit in his advice. One area I really resonate with is "strengths-based treatment."

Simply stated, continue to develop your talents and skills. Go for what you like. Spend time on things that get you into the flow (for more about Flow with a capital F, see http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/199707/finding-flow).

In a chapter called "The Key to Treating ADHD," Hallowell and Ratey have this to say:


            Once the diagnosis is made, the next step is to find and develop your talents. People often ask me, “What are ADD people good at?” My answer is, “You never know. But whatever you do, don’t stop looking.” You can’t predict what your talent will be. …
Whatever you call it, the development of talent is a crucial but often neglected goal of the process. You build a life on your talents and strengths – what is right and good about you – not on your weaknesses, however skillfully they might be corrected. …
            Because we use the medical model in psychiatry, we make diagnoses as other specialities do. We diagnose depression or biopolar disorder or schizophrenia or anxiety, and then we begin to prescribe remedies for what’s wrong.
            However, when we do that we leave the patient without her most powerful rememdy: the healthy part of her mind, the talented part, the successful part, the harmonious part.
            I have sat on the other side of the desk – the patient’s side – and listened to myself be diagnosed, and I have felt my heart sink as my problems and weaknesses or my children’s were enumerated without any mention of what we did well. At those times it felt as if my greatest allies were being taken away, leaving me and my kids alone to fend for ourselves without our best troops at our side. …
            It is important to get into a positive frame of mind. Without positive energy, treatment fails. This might sound like a minor point, but in fact it is crucial.

No comments:

Post a Comment